The International Criminal Court has said it is looking into reports of war crimes and crimes against humanity in Venezuela that could fall under its jurisdiction after an alleged massacre last month.
According to a New York Times report, the ICC prosecutor said in a letter to Congress on Thursday that it will open an initial probe into the incident that was called “extermination” by the United States and Brazil.
The shooting took place in Tachira, in the east of the country, where security forces and pro-government militias went on a rampage before dawn last month. More than 30 people died, according to official estimates. Media reports say more than 90 were injured.
At a U.N. General Assembly in September, Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he was “very concerned” by the situation in Venezuela, saying all political actors should show respect for human rights.
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) also has issued a statement condemning the killings.
The International Red Cross said Sunday that Venezuela’s two main hospitals are running on barely enough blood and medicine for around a third of patients.
“With so much on the state to do, we have reached the point that hospitals are being rendered unable to discharge patients,” Red Cross spokesperson Beatriz Munoz said.
She said Venezuela’s main hospitals are on track to go completely empty in the next two to three weeks.
For now, Venezuelans are having to make do with having only a few basic medicines and foods.
“For the last two months we haven’t had the medicine or the medicine,” Jennifer Soto, 28, told Fox News.
She added, “There is no medicine, there is no food, there is no water, there is no electricity.”
“This country is in a very difficult situation, and we have no rights, no protection,” Soto said.